Waiting for a surgery may be an anxious time, and often we feel like everything is on hold until we get that surgery done. However, there is an extensive body of research that suggests that engaging in a rehabilitation programme prior to your surgery can help you to improve physical function, ability to manage pain and overall your overall health and wellbeing status prior to surgery. Studies also show that participants in pre-surgical rehabilitation programmes achieve better long term outcomes following surgery.
Proactive runs a range of pre-surgical rehabilitation programmes, that can be tailored to meet your individual needs. This programme can be delivered face to face or via Telehealth while New Zealand is in COVID Level 1 or 2; and or via Telehealth with vulnerable patients or at COVID Levels 3 & 4. It is delivered by musculoskeletal physiotherapists, who are able to engage with your surgeon to ensure that we are meeting your specific injury needs. ACC Funding is available if your injury is covered by ACC.
During this programme, you can expect a tailored programme of care that includes
- An exercise rehabilitation programme that will help you to improve your strength, flexibility and overall fitness
- Nutritional advice designed to help support optimal recovery.
- Strategies to help you to manage pain and cope with any anxiety relating to your pending surgery
- Strategies to help you to improve your sleep
- Access to medical specialists to help you to manage your medication
- Access to the clinical experts to help you with the things that you need in order to get you through for your specific situation, including Clinical Psychologists, Exercise Physiologists, Musculoskeletal and Neuro Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists and Occupational Physicians.