How rehabilitation in the workplace can help you recover faster following injury or illness
Almost all of us end up sustaining an injury or illness during our working career where we need to take time off work to recover. This can be a normal step to take in the short term to help us recover and get back on our feet.
Prolonged time off work can have negative effects on our physical and mental wellness. Research shows that the longer you are off work the less chance you have of getting back to work at all, which can further compound these negative effects.
Many of us don’t know what is out there to help and what ACC offer to assist in getting us fit for work and returning back to work.
Your Return to, or Stay At Work Program
Proactive has a program specifically designed to support you and your employer, getting you back to work safely or helping you stay at work by modifying the duties you perform and help you achieve at a rate that is suitable for you. This program is called a ‘Stay at Work’ and helps you recover and rehabilitate, while remaining in the workplace.
Staying at, or Returning to work following an injury can be quite overwhelming.
Proactive will assist by supporting you with a Stay at, or Return to Work program, to help support and organise your recovery each step of the way. The program can occur at any time, however it is best to utilise this program as early as possible.
What does the Stay at, or Return to Work journey look like?
The following graphic demonstrates your journey and pathway to a successful return to work, should you not be able to Stay at Work.
Depending on your individual needs, the severity of your injury or the type of work that you do, you may have more than one health professional working with you to make sure that all aspects of your recovery are being addressed.
All our programs have a dedicated health professional that will support you through your journey and be your first and main point of contact for any questions you may have. This is a dedicated person called a Key Worker.
Your Key Worker will meet with you and your employer to gain a better understanding of your injury, the type of work that You do, and any special considerations that we need to take into account when planning your return to work. This will include an assessment of your worksite and the tasks that you are required to undertake.
Your Key Worker at any time can engage an Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Nutritionist, Psychologist, Medical Specialist, or other health team professionals to help ensure that you receive access to the best advice and care.
You may require a separate physiotherapy assessment to help further understand your injury, your ability to do physical activity and any other rehabilitation that may be helpful in your journey.
Once we have a good picture of your situation and your workplace, we will engage with you and your employer to formulate a Stay at, or Return to Work Plan.
Your Stay at, or Return to Work Plan will include:
- Arrangement for the provision of equipment that will safely and efficiently assist with your recovery.
- Co-ordination with you and your employer, the progression from tasks and hours (that won’t aggravate your injury) in a way that helps you to rehabilitate on the job.
- Exercises, stretches and knowledge around correct posture and lifting tasks to ensure that you can progress, and with the help of your Key Worker, self-manage more of your recovery, ensuring that you are empowered to take control of your own journey.
- Strengthening and targeted rehab to manager and speed up your recovery with a physio.
Once you have successfully returned to performing your normal duties and demonstrated that you can safely maintain these, then your Program will be complete.
- We have a success rate of over 90% with supporting injured workers back to work or helping them recover, so they are fully fit and ready for work.
- Our skilled health professionals work with you, your employer, and medical practitioner(s) to develop a holistic program that is specific to you and your needs.
- Our Services can assist you to transition to normal physiotherapy and the achievement of your personal goals.
- We have a unique Four Corners of Health approach to ensure we wrap the right support individual to you.
Click here to find out more about our Four Corners of Health approach.
How to access a Proactive Return to, or Stay at Work Program?
If you already have a medical certificate and ACC are contacting you about your rehabilitation, you can request Proactive to provide your program.
If you have had an injury or want help with to stay or return to work, you can call and make an appointment to see one of our skilled health professionals. They will get you started immediately with management of your injury and the registration of your claim for an ACC funded program, if you are eligible.