Welcome to the Proactive Hawkes bay Concussion Service
Our Hawkes bay Concussion Service is a leading Concussion service in NZ with the very best team working together to help you recover and achieve wellbeing.
Hawkes Bay Concussion Service has been established to provide early access and timely assessment for people who have sustained a mild (concussion) or moderate traumatic injury or have post concussion syndrome to the Greater Hawkes Bay region.
A team dependent on your specific needs may include Medical Specialist in brain injury/concussion, Neuropsychologists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Exercise Physiologists, Nurses, Speech language therapists, Dieticians, social worker will work with you to define a tailored plan for you and work with you through your recovery all the way through the possible suite of services you need to help you achieve an optimal recovery.
You can access this service via ACC, Insurers, your GP or privately.
To learn more about the service click here to go to the Proactive Hawkes Bay Concussion Service page
Read below for more information and details such as map, contact information and opening hours or call us on (06) 870 9484.
ACC Process for referrers and Clients:
For ACC to fund the referral the client needs to be between 10 days – 12 months post injury, have an accepted ACC claim and be referred by their GP, Accident and Medical Centre or ACC Case Manager. Following a concussion or moderate brain injury people commonly experiences range of symptoms including:
- Tiring more easily
- Difficulty sleeping
- Forgetfulness and memory problems
- Difficulty concentrating and being easily distracted
- Slowed thinking
- Irritability, depression, anxiety and personality changes
- Balance or dizziness
- Noise / light sensitivity
All of these symptoms can affect the clients’ ability to return to work or study, and to manage their usual activities.
Once a referral is received, an experienced therapist meets with the client to carry out an initial interview to gather more information about the accident and ongoing symptoms and difficulties and their case will be reviewed by a Neuropsychologist and Neurologist or Neurosurgeon. If required more specific assessments with these professionals will occur to reach a diagnosis and confirm the recovery plan. The client will be provided with information and advice about brain injury, and how the client can manage symptoms to ensure they are on the right path for recovery.
A Plan can include any of the following, depending upon the clients needs:
- Medical assessment with a Specialist experienced in Concussion, to assess and treat headaches, sleep disturbances, mood disturbances
- Neuropsychological screening assessment – to assess cognitive function/deficits (how well your brain is thinking and processing information)
- Allied health assessment – Neuro Physiotherapy, Speech Language Therapy, or Occupational Therapy as appropriate, to further assess injury effects
- Allied Health therapy sessions –from any of the therapy team to provide advice to the client about how to manage their symptoms and recover
- Medical consultations – as a follow up to the medical assessment
- Psychological consultation – sessions with a psychologist if needed following assessment
- When ACC/Insurer/Funder give approval the assessment/therapy commences – this can take place over weeks or months depending on need, therapy sessions can take place in the client’s home, work, school, educational institute or where ever appropriate, including Concussion Service clinics around Wellington
P: 0800 TOTAL YOU (868 259)
P: 06 870 9484
F: 04 586 8497
E: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org
The Proactive Hawkes bay Concussion Service is open from 8am to 6pm Monday to Thursday and 8am to 5pm Friday.
To make an appointment or ask a question please feel free to contact us at any time.
Our team will work with you to assist in accessing the service if you are unsure on your cover.