Bay of Plenty – Te Moana-a-Toi
The Bay of Plenty is situated around the northern coast of the North Island. The bight stretches 260 km from the Coromandel Peninsula in the west to Cape Runaway in the east. In addition to the mainland area. Called Te Moana-a-Toi (the Sea of Toi) in the Māori language after Toi, an early ancestor, the name ‘Bay of Plenty’ was bestowed by James Cook in 1769 when he noticed the abundant food supplies at several Māori villages there.