PROACTIVE IS A PASSIONATE COMPANY IN THE BUSINESS OF WELLBEING.
We use the Four Corners of Health™ to deliver a truly holistic approach to Transformative Rehabilitation. This identifies and delivers the best pathway to Wellbeing tailored specifically to you so you enjoy the freedom to participate fully and successfully in life.
Deep down we are all seeking to live in a state of harmony and balance. We’re fit, healthy and enjoy the bodies that we have been given. They don’t restrict us from the things we’re passionate about, be it family, work, sport, art or just putting on the jug for a cuppa. This is the state of wellbeing we’re after.
Wellbeing is not just a sentiment. It’s about actually being better, and achieving the very best outcome for you in whatever form of rehabilitation a client needs, be it at a resilience level or a peak level.
Never before in the history of our society, has one’s health been such an issue. Globally this is becoming more and more of a focus for individuals, organisations and health strategy than ever before. Our change in lifestyle, the change in the foods that we eat, the stressful demands placed on us, and the factors impacting on our sleep have seen the average person’s health and wellbeing plummeting. This really impacts not only on our happiness, our relationships, performance at work and play, but also on our ability to recover from setbacks such as illness or injury.
But our healthcare system focusses on managing symptoms, and falls short of providing a service that promote “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity” – which is what the World Health Organisation defines health as. Healthcare training and the way the industry is structured promotes a siloed approach to delivering services, with many healthcare professionals focussing only on the clinical nature of a “disease” and not able to consider the person in front of them as a whole. Although they try, many health care organisations struggle to integrate their services with other providers to ensure that their client’s full spectrum of needs are met or ensure a “whole person” approach is taken to their service.
This isn’t good enough. And we have realised that, to truly live by our values, we need to change this.
We want to change the face of Kiwi Healthcare and give you the opportunity to:
- engage in a service that will improve your resilience, performance and ultimately your wellbeing
- experience healthcare that is all about you and what you need
- Helps you to achieve transformational results
- AND Looks at the “whole you” not just your injury or illness
Healthcare cannot just be about “treatment” anymore! Our approach to our service is framed by the “Four Corners of Health” which is how we go about seeing the whole person in our treatment planning and service delivery. Everything is intertwined in a delicate balance so our approach addresses the four most crucial factors when it comes to optimising recovery and ensuring peak performance: Physical Function, Nutrition, Sleep and Mindset.
Our services are guided by:
- Putting our client at the centre of everything we do
- Achieving transformation results for our clients and organisations we work with
- Great communication
- Bespoke solutions and roadmap to achieve our clients goals
Our Funders can rely on us for:
- Helping to solve their problems via a collaborative approach to service design, improvement and implementation
- An integrated approach to health services – combining scopes of expertise to meet a clients health needs
- An outcomes focus
- Quality expert care with accountability and measurement to drive our performance
- Client centric focus
- Great communication and client service
- Value for money
Call 0800 868 259 to make an appointment at any of our clinics. Proactive clinics are located across Auckland, Wellington, Hawke’s Bay and Manawatu.
- Proactive Wellington City, 72 Taranaki St, Wellington Central
- Proactive Newtown, Wakefield Specialist Centre, 99 Rintoul Street, Newtown, Wellington
- Proactive Hutt City, c/o Les Mills Hutt City, 7-15 Pretoria St, Lower Hutt, Wellington
- Proactive Porirua, c/o Te Rauparaha Arena, 17 Parumoana St, Porirua, Wellington
- Proactive Kapiti, c/o CityFitness, Coastlands Shopping Centre, Paraparaumu, Kapiti Coast, Wellington
- Proactive Upper Hutt, c/o Jetts, 808 Fergusson Drive, Upper Hutt, Wellington
- Proactive Albany, Shop 6, 110 Don McKinnon Drive, Albany, Auckland
- Proactive Auckland CBD, Inside Shortland Health, 51 Shortland Street, Auckland CBD
- Proactive Birkenhead, 165 Mokoia Rd, Birkenhead, North Shore, Auckland
- Proactive Birkenhead Club Physical, c/o Club Physical, 35 Mokoia Rd, Birkenhead, North Shore, Auckland
- Proactive K’Rd, c/o Club Physical, 184 Karangahape Rd, Auckland Central
- Proactive North West Massey, Northwest Shopping Centre, 4/1 Te Pumanawa Square, Massey, Auckland
- Proactive Ellerslie & Auckland Concussion Service, 401 Great South Road, Ellerslie, Auckland
Bay of Plenty
- Proactive Tauranga CBD, 306 Cameron Road Tauranga
- Proactive Papamoa, Papamoa Plaza, 7 Gravit Road, Papamoa Beach, Tauranga
- Greater Bay of Plenty Region
- Proacitve Napier, c/0 Napier Health Centre, 76 Wellesley Rd, Napier
- Proactive Hastings, 117 Maraekakaho Rd, Hastings
- Proactive Taradale, 12 Lee Rd, Taradale, Napier
Gisborne /East Coast
- Proactive Gisborne, 379 Gladstone Rd, Gisborne
Manawatu / Whanganui
- Proactive Palmerston North, c/o CityFitness, 80 Pitt St, Palmerston North
- Proactive Whanganui, 338 Wicksteed Street, Whanganui
Since Proactive Rehab (as we were known then) started out back in 1999, the understanding of human health, rehabilitation and wellbeing has come a long way. And so have we. We’ve expanded our services and grown steadily.
From humble beginnings in Wellington, Proactive now provides a range of what we call ‘Transformative Health’ services from within some of New Zealand’s leading gyms and has become known as one of the best-equipped rehabilitation clinics in New Zealand. Combine this inspirational environment with cutting-edge innovations in injury management, pain management, concussion rehabilitation, vocational rehabilitation and advice on healthy living, and clients are able to access a mix of recovery services under one roof and get what they need to get right quickly – and to stay that way.
For some of our clients simply walking two metres to put the jug on is a challenge. Others are striving for the extra two percent that will help them reach peak performance. We cater to both ends of that spectrum and everything in between, but no matter how different your needs, one thing is constant at Proactive: we treat everyone with the same importance and respect their personal goals.
We opened our doors in October 1999, at Les Mills Extreme in Wellington. We saw a need to bridge the gaps between physiotherapy treatment, exercise rehabilitation and exercise programming for performance – whether that be sports, work or general health and fitness.
1st 5 Years
We were ahead of our time, but as we kept focussing on what we stood for, word about our services grew to a point where we were a preferred provider for many people, organisations and insurance companies.
Change was afoot in the rehabilitation industry – we could see this clearly. Recognising that the world needed healthcare professionals to be working together across disciplines, services needed to be integrated and clients needed end to end services to meet their needs, we made a decision to grow.
We took our first step towards growth, and welcomed the Hutt Valley branch of Proactive to our family.
To complement our rehabilitation services, we opened our doors wider to off the street physiotherapy and return to work services, helping more people and welcoming different types of health care professionals to ensure that our services were integrated, and met our clients needs.
In 2008 we opened our doors in Kapiti and Porirua, extending our reach even further. Our team had grown from 5 to 30 in 3 years. We weren’t happy with the state of our industry. It felt fragmented, there were inconsistent standards of quality amongst healthcare providers and no career pathways for our people. We started collaborating with others to develop a model for a national network which would help raise the bar.
What a crazy 2 years that was. Government change led to reform in our industry. This resulted in changes in the way clients accessed our services, and it was time now to knuckle down and re-develop the way our business ran. 2009 – 2011 taught us a lot!
ACC drove more change within our industry by introducing a limited Vendor Model to Vocational Rehabilitation. Faced with more disruption, we decided to take it head on and formed VocHealth and the New Zealand Rehabilitation Limited Partnership. We were one of nine suppliers to win a North Island contract, meaning we had grown, and grown fast.
2012 was spent bedding down the Vocational Rehabilitation Contract and setting up the management arm of Proactive to drive and succeed in this service. We are so close to consolidating our vision of one large entity that denotes quality customer care, with an end to end spectrum of services and innovative solutions.
We open in Palmerston North, beginning a dream to provide quality rehabilitation to our rural roots.
We started the rebrand process. This began with some serious naval gazing, feedback from staff and customers, and even more research into our industry. Change is hard, but it needs to be done. Purchased our first physiotherapy practice in Auckland, and continued to build our presence with clinics in Auckland Central, Parnell and St Heliers.
A new brand. A consolidated approach. More services introduced into our spectrum. More growth into Auckland with the purchase of two more clinics in Birkenhead in the North Shore and coming together with some great organisations including Integrated Partners in Health (Auckland Concussion Services).
We grew into the Hawkes Bay with the purchase of Plus Rehab in Napier, Taradale and Hastings and added services to allow our team to provide a full spectrum of care to the Hawkes Bay Region. We also opened in Gisborne with the purchase of Oasis and added Vocational Rehabilitation to the community rehabilitation services already offered providing a full spectrum of care to the East Coast.
More growth into Tauranga and began providing services to the greater Bay of Plenty and more services added to our spectrum and expansion of our existing services across our network. We added pain management services across our network adding these to regions not already providing these services. We retendered for our Vocational Rehabilitation services and retained this service North Island wide.
We also welcomed Acurity Health Groups investment into Proactive as a shareholder. Acurity own and operate several Hospitals within NZ. The goal of our partnership being the provision of integrated rehabilitation across our clients journey of care as well as further backing of Proactives ability to grow to meet our vision.
We had a big year in 2018, tendering and retaining or adding to our services suite as well as adding geographically to our network across the North Island. On a mission to achieving our vision! Whew what a year!
- We added Social Rehabilitation (Individualised Rehab Needs assessments, Equipment assessment and provision, Housing Modification Assessments, wheelchair assessments) and Community Rehabilitation Services, including the ACC Training for independence programmes, across our network adding these services to regions not already providing these services
- We opened the Proactive Wellington Concussion Service within Wakefield Specialist Centre and across the greater Wellington region from our clinics in the regions or at clients home or other facilities
- We began providing inpatient Physiotherapy rehabilitation at Wakefield Hospital, allowing a full journey of integrated rehabilitative care for clients undergoing surgery. Pre-surgical, whilst in hospital and post operative physiotherapy and rehabilitation
- We opened in Whanganui with the purchase of Physical Care Centre, and added the pain management, social and community rehabilitation services to the existing service suite allowing for complete care to the Whanganui community
- We moved our Auckland Concussion Service and Mt Eden site to our brand new purpose built Ellerslie site, allowing physiotherapy and our other rehabilitation services to be provided from the one site, delivering a fully integrated rehabilitation centre
- We opened a 2nd clinic in Papamoa Beach, Tauranga, allowing our Bay of Plenty team to provide services closer to our clients homes. This is a large site allowing a full integrated rehabilitation centre and our full suite of services
- We added to our Auckland sites, an Albany Clinic and a Manakau Clinic, completing our integrated Rehabilitation hubs across the greater Auckland region, with over the next year to come the additions of satellites and clinics to complement these larger hubs to serve the Auckland region closer to their homes.